Artists have been working at Porthmeor Studios since the early 1880s, making them probably the oldest working studios in the country. The first artists along Porthmeor converted the existing net lofts by adding skylights, and studio 8 is probably an example of this, but most of the studios at Porthmeor appear to have been purpose built for artists over the following few years.
The studios are constructed with masonry or timber frame walls, and most were originally north facing, substantial rectangular spaces with large windows and skylights, and overlooked the beach. They were therefore very light and airy. However subsequent building phases have resulted in the reconfiguration of many of the studios, and now there are a variety of sizes and orientation.
The marine artist Moffat Lindner purchased Porthmeor Studios and Cellars in 1929 to help secure its future as artists’ studios. In 1948 and suffering poor health, he wished to pass on the benefits of this priceless asset, and agreed a low price on condition that the studios would be available as artists’ studios in perpetuity.
The Trust hosts a range of activities and events for the public. Most of these are based in the Borlase Smart Room at Porthmeor, but there are also opportunities to visit Anchor and Trewarveneth Studios.
Address: Porthmeor Studios
Back Rd West